Times Tables Rock Stars - Get Involved!
By Miss Wyatt, Maths Lead
Now that lockdown is over, we'd love to see all the children getting involved in Times Tables Rock Stars again. To find out more, read on...
What is Times Tables Rock Stars?
In either paper form or online, Times Tables Rock Stars is a carefully sequenced programme of daily times tables practice.
Each week concentrates on a different times table, with a recommended consolidation week for rehearsing the tables that have recently been practised every third week or so.
This format has very successfully boosted times tables recall speed for hundreds of thousands of pupils over the last 8 years in over 16,000 schools - both primary and secondary - worldwide.
When it comes to times tables, speed AND accuracy are important – the more facts your child remembers, the easier it is for them to do harder calculations. Times Table Rock Stars is a fun and challenging program designed to help students master the times tables! To be a Times Table Rock Star you need to answer any multiplication fact up to 12×12 in less than 3 seconds!
Here is a video all about the benefits of playing Times Tables Rock Stars:
Times Tables Rock Stars at OWPS
At OWPS, we know the importance of learning our times tables. It's an invaluable skill that not only helps us with our maths lessons, but comes in handy throughout life.
Children in Years 3-6 are challenged to practice their times tables at www.ttrockstars.com every week. It is something that they can do at home, ideally on a daily basis.
Times Tables Rock Stars is fun and exciting. It recreates the experience of playing a computer game, with bright graphics and progress tracking.
Each week, OWPS publishes the Times Tables Rock Stars Leader board in the Achievements section of the Wistow Ways Newsletter. The names of the most improved children for each class are listed.
How can my child get involved?
It’s easy to log on to Times Tables Rock Stars and your child can access it from home. Their username and password can be found in their reading diaries.
Children can play single player games including:
- Garage – multiplication and division questions set by the teacher to help them get quicker at recalling their multiplications facts.
- Studio – multiplication questions from 1x1 to 12x12 to enable children to set their best time across all the tables.
- Soundcheck – 20 questions each with a 5-second time limit to improve their response times.
Children can also play multiplayer games including:
- Rock Arena – using questions set by the teacher, players compete against other members of their Band. Bandmates need to join the same game in order to compete together.
- Rock Festival – these games are open to players from around the world and questions are selected at random. It is a great way to play with others if you can’t arrange to synchronise a game with classmates on Rock Arena.
More details can be found on the Times Tables Rock Stars website at ttrockstars.com.
Good luck playing Times Tables Rock Stars! It might be your name on the leader board next week!