12 Jan 2024
PE and Sports
Here at Orton Wistow Primary School we aim to provide the highest quality physical education, making sure it is inclusive for all. Our aims are:
- To develop physical competence and to promote physical development.
- To recognise through experience, the benefits of participation in physical activities in an enjoyable, safe and challenging way.
- To use their observations to make judgements about their own and others work to improve their performance.
- To understand the effects of exercise on the body and know how to exercise safely.
- To develop the ability to work independently, to develop leadership skills through working with others in group or team exercise.
- To develop the personal qualities of commitment, fairness and enthusiasm through making decisions and selecting, refining, judging and adapting movements.
- To develop a positive attitude towards hard work, fair play, honest competition and good sporting behaviour.
- To understand and cope with a variety of outcomes, including success and failure.
- To establish self-esteem through the development of physical confidence.
Within this section there are a variety of different ways in which we try to engage children thought physical education and grow a general sense of appreciation by being active.
For more information about the PE curriculum at OWPS, please visit the PE Curriculum section of the website.
PE Curriculum Map 2022 - 2023
The PE Curriculum Map show what is covered across the year, and we try to incorporate a range of different units to engage the children. This is also available to download at the end of this page.
What Does PE Look Like At OWPS?
The What Does PE Look Like At OWPS document outlines the theory behind our approach to teaching PE and sets out how this is delivered to our pupils. You can view this document by in the What the Curriculum Looks Like at OWPS section of the website.
For details of our Sports Premium Funding, please visit the Sports Premium section of the website.
Clubs at OWPS
At OWPS we offer a combination of clubs delivered by staff and external organisations, including sports clubs.
Please click on the links below to see which clubs are on offer this term. For more details of previous terms, please visit the Clubs section of the website.
Here at Orton Wistow Primary School a group of Year 6 children make up the ‘Sports Leaders’ group. They are responsible for creating and facilitating lunchtime games (Sport related) at playtimes. They work in pairs to ensure that all children are included and given the chance to take part.
The group spent 6 weeks training for the role in the Autumn term and now work on an independent basis, with termly check ins to ensure that they are confident with their roles.
Only two children per day deliver an activity to one of the Year groups on our KS1/LSK2 playground. They do not deliver activities to UKS2 due to Key Sports providing support to do so.
At Orton Wistow Primary School we try to encourage as much Physical activity as possible. One of the ways we do this, is take part in the ‘Wistow Mile’. We have a 200m all weather track which loops round our field. Children are encouraged daily to use the track to ensure all children are having some form of daily exercise.
The classes distances are recorded and totalled by the Wistow Mile Ambassadors. The classes are then updated on a leader board which allows all the children to see where their class is. Children receive certificates once they reach certain milestones.
The weekly results for the Wistow Mile are also published on the website in Achievements.
Please see below for other useful documents that can be downloaded.