Bike to School Week
As Sustrans makes clear, cycling, scootering or walking to school are all fantastic ways for children to keep fit:
Cycling is brilliant for your kids - it helps them get the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity per day, which one-third of children don't currently achieve.
And, once you've invested in bikes and some basic kit, it costs very little but provides so many benefits:
- many teachers report that kids who walk and cycle to school are more alert and ready to learn than those who arrive by car
- it's fantastic fun and, for many kids, can feel much more exciting than travelling by car
- cycling can help kids get to know their local area and feel part of it
- good travel habits learned young will last a lifetime
- cyclists breathe in less pollution from traffic than car drivers
The Big Pedal has a new name that was voted on by members of the public. It is now called Sustrans Big Walk and Wheel, and will take place 21 March- 1 April 2022.
Until then, why not see if you can find opportunities to leave the car at home and come to school by foot or wheel!